So recently, I did an appearance on the Brent Axe show on The Score 1260 during his Blind Side segment. I even did a post recently titled @BrentAxeMedia Discusses Coach Marrone Fantasy Contract Extension Scenario And Here Is My Take because I thought the topic was interesting and my opinion needed more than 140 characters. And today, I am going to
rip off another of his ideas borrow something he started recently and tell you my Top 5 Reasons To Listen To Brent Axe.
5. What else are you doing weekdays between 2-6pm EST? Now to be fair, occasionally I have a meeting or conference call during his show or something work related that I have to mute it for a bit. However, for the most part, I am listening as often as I can. The other 4 reasons will support my reasons why but seriously, what else is there besides maybe General Hospital?
4. He is fair and balanced…and entertaining. Unlike a news network that I actually watch occasionally, he backs it up. He is respectful of other’s opinions as long as you approach him with some common sense even when you do not agree. In fact, Axeman and I have differed on topics in the past but I still listen (but to be fair, I also never called in to curse him out for not mentioning Carmelo Anthony’s name in a conversation about the best point guard in Syracuse history either). I believe the best discussions are the ones you have when doing so with respect but supporting your point and I have not heard Brent one time hateful and rude and not backing up his viewpoint.
3. He dislikes Georgetown! This could very easily be #1 but there are two better reasons I feel to support this theory. Axeman and I are close in age (although I have him by a couple) so we both know the hatred that is Georgetown. We both remember how much we disliked anyone with the last name Thompson, wanted to see Ewing unhappy and get even more pleasure out of a Syracuse victory of Georgetown than any other game (with the exception of a championship game of course). I won’t forget how Manley Field House was closed and I won’t forget how I held my breath in the last seconds of every Georgetown/Syracuse game since I knew I was destined to bleed Orange. I know Axeman will not either. Which leads me into #2:
2. His knowledge of and passion for Syracuse sports is extraordinary. During my segment, one of the questions I asked asked him to rank his favorite plays using Air Gait, Hakim Warrick’s block (my personal favorite), and McNabb’s last second pass to Brominski defeating Virginia Tech in 1998 as shown here:
Being a lacrosse guy, I figured he would go Air Gait (and seriously, how do you blame him) but he replayed that pass vividly even though he ranked it #3 of the 3. His choice of favorite Syracuse shirt was the Marathon shirt (mine as well other than my Michael Borkowski Otto face tee). Axeman can back up his talk as the voice of central New York sports fans because he is one who follows all local sports and even national sports. I used to listen to several national shows but lately I don’t have the time so I save my one for Axeman’s show.
1. And the #1 reason to listen to the Brent Axe show in my opinion is that his show is filled with fun and interactive segments that keep you involved and makes time fly by. The one thing I truly admire about Axeman is that he truly embraces the sports fan who listen to his show and allows them to be a part of the show. Today in fact, he allowed a listener to pick his top 5 category and as I mentioned above, he is allowing listeners to do his Blind Side segment which involves asking Axeman 10 questions that he has no knowledge of in advance.
Throughout his show, he not only accepts phone calls (and gives you time to explain your point) but also participates via email and your Tweets. You can even see what is going on his show by following him and The Score 1260 twitter feed.
If you are in the Syracuse area, you can listen to him on 1260am and also watch him on Time Warner Cable. If you do not live in Syracuse (or do not have a radio/TV handy), you can also listen to his show via the internet or by downloading The Score 1260 phone app (which is what I use)either by going to your respective phone store or clicking here. You can also read his syracuse.com blog if you prefer to read his stuff rather than listen and occasionally listen to him bantering with Bud Poliquin.
Don’t do it because I say so; try his show and see for yourself why I now only chose one sports talk show to listen to and I chose Brent Axe.
picture courtesy of NunesMagician.com and one of my favorites